CRITERIA FOR BEING A L.E.A.D. PARTICIPANT
The criteria for becoming a participant in L.E.A.D. is three-fold: financial need, a continuing commitment to attendance and playing an active role in the educational and mentoring aspects of the program, and finally cooperative behavior and good citizenship. Financial need is determined by the parent’s tax return and/ or the family’s eligibility for the Federal Food Stamp program. All current students will be able to remain in the program if the financial need is no longer there. They will not, however, be given school clothes, food baskets, etc. if there is no longer a financial need. Parents will be asked to show their financial status each year prior to the summer program.
Current students reside in South St. Louis City. Bus transportation is provided for them. Beginning in June 2014, students who meet the criteria and reside in Kirkwood and Webster Groves will be able to apply as well. Anyone who meets the criteria and can provide their own transportation is also welcome to apply. At L.E.A.D. contracts are made between all parties that spell out expectations, obligations, and responsibilities for everyone and these arrangements are crucial to establishing long term bonds with our students. We maintain contact with our students and their families. Key to our students’ academic continuum is more than education; it is the emphasis that L.E.A.D. places on being there for our youngsters when difficulties arise, highlighting particular skills and behaviors that are required to succeed, and stressing that our students never give up on their goals or themselves. These children deserve a chance to break the cycle of poverty. There is much in our students’ environment to bring them down; however L.E.A.D. Promising Youth is providing a necessary hand-up. We are seeing their success. We take great pride in 100% graduation from high school. Even more exciting is that recently all but one of our graduates has gone on to college or technical training.
How to apply:
- Read the above criteria for being a L.E.A.D. Participant to make sure you qualify.
- Although our student body ranges in age from 7 to 18, our new students must be entering 2nd through 11th grade in the fall of 2016. Our high school students have grown up with us. Most started when they were in elementary school.
- Fill out the Application (or Download it), Read Parent Contract and Child Contract. Read them carefully. If you decide that this program is for you, be sure to check off each part of the contracts and sign.
- You can submit the application online or Download and mail it, and submit contracts above by mailing them to: L.E.A.D. Promising Youth, #1 Saint Alfred Road, St. Louis, MO 63132
- Questions can be answered by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling Dotty Tepper Executive Director of L.E.A.D. Promising Youth at 314-276-0407
- New students will be added to the summer program that begins July 5. Applications for the summer program must be received by June 25 to be considered. Proof of eligibility must also be submitted at that time.(Copy of current food stamp card or tax return from 2015)
- Current students must commit to the program by June 10 to hold their spot.
- Our space is currently limited to 40 students. We look forward to continuing with our current students and adding to our “family” of dedicated, energetic, and enthusiastic learners. Please check us out by watching our montage of photos and the video of the program.